I received a new book for Christmas - "The Art of Calligraphy & Lettering: Master techniques for traditional and contemporary handwritten styles." It is published by Walter Foster Publishing, Inc.
The section by John Stevens is very inspiring. I did this alphabet today while studying the hand John created called "Latina". I used a pointed pen instead of the recommended broadedge.

I was really struck by a remark by John, "But if you want to become a professional, you are better off with a recognizable style than with great technical ability." I'm not sure I have heard anyone say something like this even after all these years of study. But I like it! I know there are several calligraphers that I can see a piece and just know it is theirs. It is starting to make sense. Perhaps I can let go of perfection and try to discover my own hand. Time will tell.